Staying on the Volcano turned out to be as scary as it sounds. Not only did you have to worry about poisonous sulphur gases but you also have to worry about it erupting! Who knew...was that in the brochure? Of course Trevor will say I am over reacting. While we were there we felt two earthquakes which turned out to be an eruption (something that hasn't happened since '97). Good thing we visited the sea arch the day before because the road "chain of craters" was closed due to lava flow! yikes
Pre-eruption
2 days post-eruption...this was only 1.5miles away from where we were staying. There was a red plume at night. We saw other people's pictures but we were unable to get any.
Tub at the cabin.
We hiked into a crater. It was 2 miles which doesn't sound that impressive until I tell you that it was a 400 meter decent which equates to walking up a 40 story building! All of which I would have known if I had read the trailhead sign instead of just taking a picture! :-) Once on the crater it was very hot and you could see steam vents. You could also see "Pele's Hair", Molten lava hurled into the air that forms glassy filaments. It really looks like golden hair strands. I tried to take a picture but it didn't work.
Pic of the crater we hiked to.
We also visited Thurston Lava Tube. It's similar to a cave and the first section is lit but the second section is in complete darkness and the sign says explore at your own risk. Good thing we brought our dollar store flashlights from the cabin (sarcasm)! Mine kept going out and once the air smelled stagnate I told Gavin and Trevor I was turning around and Trevor said "okay give me your flashlight". I almost did it until I realized I would be left in darkness so comlete that I couldn't see my hand in front of my face! So I turned around and Gavin and Trevor kept going until the hole you have to climb down into to keep going! Do people really keep going?
Lit portion of the lava tube
Unlit portion...the flash really worked well. Those are roots hanging from the ceiling.
Here we are checking out the Sea Arch. And Gavin jumping over huge cracks in the ground.
And the highlight was the horse back ride Trevor took Gavin on! I couldn't believe Gavin made it for one and half HOURS. His poor neck was so sunburned by the time they got back but he loved it. Since I am extremely allergic to horses and have no interest in riding one for 2 minutes I stayed back and practiced my photography and talked on the phone! I was very impressed with my cell coverage.
Excited about riding.
Gavin's is the largest one!
Mauna Loa Factory in Hilo. It said free samples but they only gave you half of a piece of chocolate and one dry roasted nut!
The factory was shut down because it was off season so the only thing interesting was a pick a pearl at Maui Divers jewelry counter. Gavin picked two oysters, they had him tap it three times and then everyone shouted ALOHA and they opened them. Here are the two I got. We are so lucky we got a black and white one! Trevor got them set for me for my birthday! Once Gavin did it everyone came over to pick one. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment